We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
About the Team:
The Coupang Catalog Team is responsible for hosting billions of products in Coupang’s catalog and the dynamic processing of hundreds of millions of updates to provide the source of truth that powers the online buying experience for millions of customers. We strive to deliver a world-class platform for our customers to find and discover complete, accurate and trustworthy product information without friction and at the lowest price. We continually invest in the latest technologies to ensure the scalability, precision and reliability at scale of these critical systems.
About the Role:
The Director of Catalog Product will be responsible for the growth and ongoing development of a portfolio of products, tools and features relating to Coupang’s vast catalog. This is a dynamic, rapidly evolving and complex ecosystem, and thus the Director will be comfortable dealing with high degree of complexity and working with a large cohort of stakeholders internationally across South Korea, China and the US. These stakeholders include Retail and Pricing Product, 3P Marketplace, Search & Discovery, and Finance. S/he will directly manage a team of Product Managers (scaling the team over time) and work closely with engineering and data science teams in Seoul and Shanghai (50+ FTEs).
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Play a leadership role in setting the vision and product roadmap for Coupang’s Catalog platform;
- Lead a team of Product Owners (also known as Product Managers) responsible for the entire product life cycle from strategic planning to implementation;
- Prioritize and create a future roadmap of projects and initiatives, considering the necessary trade-offs and optimizing for Customer experience. This will likely include the development of a next generation suite of tools to automate our Catalog processes;
- Drive alignment with a wide variety of stakeholders, including executives in engineering, data science, product, operations, and infrastructure to achieve the above goal;
- Regularly review metrics and proactively seek out new and improved data/mechanisms for visibility on performance and greater optimization.
- Successful track record (10+ years) of developing innovate new products, and taking them to market, for a tier 1 technology player.
- Track record of managing a high performing team of product managers.
- Hands on experience working in an agile environment with a rapid iteration cadence.
- Track record of using data and quantitative research methodologies to inform decision-making across the entire product design process/ lifecycle.
- Understanding of the complexities of a marketplace/consumer platform model.
- Experience working with multiple teams across different geographies.
- Startup experience OR experience working in a fast-paced environment (preferred).
- Domain expertise in Catalog or Pricing (strongly preferred).
Traits and Competencies:
- Analytical thinker who works well in a global, fast-paced, data-driven, cross-functional, and highly ambiguous entrepreneurial culture.
- Bias for action and willingness to get your hands dirty to get the job done.
- Sound business judgment and proven ability to effectively communicate and influence others, including executive level reviews
- Ability to think strategically and at the same time stay on top of tactical execution
Recruitment Process and Others:
- Application Review - 1st Interview - 2nd Interview - Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Things to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang as stated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
Document Return Policy
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “ Company ”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company by email (email@example.com) In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.