We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been at since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
As a Staff Data Engineer for the Core Data and Ingestion team, you will be responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of the data lake, data warehouse, and data pipelines that enable data-driven decision-making for Coupang.
In this role, you will build reliable and scalable data transformation which process tera bytes of data each day and enable our customers to make reliable and fast business decisions. At this scale, you will need to ensure fault tolerance and robustness to deliver accurate results on time.
What You Will Do
- Serve as a technical lead and exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
- Design and build Coupang's next generation Data Lake, and Data Warehouse platform.
- Design and build reliable data pipelines using modern distributed processing technologies such as Spark and Hive with the ability to scale very large data volumes.
- Foster, mentor, and enforce industry best practices in data architecture design, design patterns and coding standard.
- Maintain and support data pipelines which process terabyte of data on daily basis.
- BS or advanced degree in Computer Science, or related technical field.
- 8+ years of software development experience with deep understanding of algorithms, data structures, design patterns, data pipelines and data warehousing.
- Strong hands-on experience in one or more programming languages such as Java, Scala, Python or similar languages.
- Strong hands-on experience in distributed processing using Spark and Hive.
- Solid knowledge of Database System, Data Warehousing concepts and languages (SQL, NoSQL) and MPP database such as Redshift.
- Hands on experience with AWS Cloud Computing platforms and understanding of scalability and reliability issues.
- Experience of using large-scale distributed infrastructures for data processing (e.g., Kafka,
- Redis, Hive/Spark on Hadoop) is a plus.
- Familiarity with workflow or orchestration frameworks, open-source tools like Airflow and Luigi or commercial enterprise tools. Knowledge of container services (Docker/Kubernetes) is a plus.
Pay & Benefits
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. At Coupang, your base pay is one part of your total compensation.The base pay for this position ranges from $153,090 /year in our lowest geographic market to $284,310/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on several factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
General Description of All Benefits
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life, AD&D insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) & Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Long-term/Short-term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- 18-21 days of the Paid Time Off (PTO) a year based on the tenure
- 12 Public Holidays
- Paid Parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- MTV - [Free] Electric Car Charging Station
General Description of Other Compensation
“Other Compensation” includes, but is not limited to, bonuses, equity, or other forms of compensation that would be offered to the hired applicant in addition to their established salary range or wage scale.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Coupang is also committed to providing a safe work environment for its employees and its consumers. As a condition of employment, Coupang requires employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, subject to legally required accommodations. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.