We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
Team and Role Description:
Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. We are on a mission to revolutionize everyday lives for our customers, employees, and partners. We solve problems no one has solved before to create a world where people ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Coupang is a global company with offices in Seoul, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Los Angeles, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo and Taipei.
We are building a new Zero-One startup within Coupang focused on in-house development of Robotics and Automation technology to support our fulfillment and logistics network. Global Operations Automation and Robotics Technology (GO ART) is an organization responsible for developing and deploying the most advanced and innovative fulfillment and transportation automation and robotics solutions that will transform Coupang’s fulfillment and logistics network. This is a unique opportunity to join a startup within one of the leading e-Commerce companies in Asia. The team will be based out of Coupang’s offices in Mountain View, Seoul or Seattle.
We are looking for experienced hardware (HW) experts to be the Principal/Sr. Staff Robotic Hardware Engineer, the brain behind the GO ART HW Innovation and Integration team. This technology leader will draw from his rich experiences and deep expertise in developing and deploying FC automation solutions to define our technology roadmap and lead the design, implementation, and rollout of advanced robotic HW solutions over Coupang’s logistics network. With a startup mindset, this technology leader can operate comfortably under ambiguity, with the opportunity to initially be hands-on while building the HW technology and product from ground-up, grow the org and deliver results under time and resource constraints.
Own GO ART’s robotic hardware technology vision and development roadmap. Be the go-to-person for the state-of-the-art robotic hardware and gripper design and prototyping technologies and its application in FC automation. Lead design, development, test, and deployment of integrated automation and robotic hardware systems, especially for robotic manipulation. Working with other members of the engineering team and stakeholders to execute against project plans and delivery commitments within an Agile/Scrum environment. Deliver production-quality HW systems in order to achieve the scalability, reliability, availability, extensibility, and performance objectives. Bring innovative ideas to practice and continuously improve the efficiency, reduce the cost and wow the customers through smart Coupang Rocket Delivery service.
● 12+ years of experience in developing and deploying robotic hardware systems such as robotic arm systems and grippers for FC and logistic automation.
● 8+ years of experience leading FC automation and robotic hardware development through multiple product/platform releases.
● In-depth knowledge of FC automation, FC robotic hardware solutions and robotic manipulation solutions.
● Ability to handle multiple competing priorities and to deliver results in a fast-paced environment.
● Working closely with multiple engineering teams from fulfillment and logistics fields, which is mainly operating based on KST time-zone.
● Master or PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Robotics, or related discipline with 8+ years of experience in FC and logistic automation using robotic manipulation technologies.
● Demonstrated ability of building, integrating, and delivering highly reliable and automated warehouse systems through hardware innovation and integration, especially using robotic arm and end-effectors.
● In-depth knowledge and skilled in CAD, mechatronics, 3D printing, gripper design, robotic manipulation and automation system and technologies.
● The ability to work with vendors and workshops to create requirements for vendor system procurement and custom-build hardware components or systems.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English with a proven ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
● Proven record of innovation and problem-solving skills, especially in the areas of logistics and fulfillment automation using hardware innovation and robotic arms.
Pay & Benefits
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. At Coupang, your base pay is one part of your total compensation.
The base pay for this position ranges from $159,000/year in our lowest geographic market to $324,000/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on several factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
General Description of All Benefits
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life, AD&D insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) & Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Long-term/Short-term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- 18-21 days of the Paid Time Off (PTO) a year based on the tenure
- 12 Public Holidays
- Paid Parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- MTV - [Free] Electric Car Charging Station
General Description of Other Compensation
“Other Compensation” includes, but is not limited to, bonuses, equity, or other forms of compensation that would be offered to the hired applicant in addition to their established salary range or wage scale.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Coupang is also committed to providing a safe work environment for its employees and its consumers. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org