We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
Our Search Data Science and Analytics team is embedded within the Search product team and has a mission to power the growth of Coupang’s Search and Discovery experiences through data-driven insights. We are a team of creative problem solvers with a passion to deliver innovative business and product solutions. The team leverages big data to empower product decisions and deliver insights, metrics and dashboards in order to drive search engagement, customer retention and build long term customer trust.
Search and Discovery drives the lion share of revenues within one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet, Coupang’s Search Data Science and Analytics team offers countless ways for an ambitious data scientist to make an impact.
What You Will do
- Partner with cross-functional product leadership to identify product opportunities, drive prioritization, support execution and measurement for the Search and Discovery product team
- Analyze large-scale structured and unstructured data; develop deep analyses and insights to drive the vision for the product team
- Design and develop core business metrics, create insightful automated dashboards and data visualization to track them and extract useful business insights
- Design and analyze experiments to test new hypotheses to improve the search and recommendations models
- Craft compelling stories; make logical recommendations; drive informed actions
- Communicate findings to senior leaders and evangelize data-driven business decisions
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field - Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related fields
- 2 years of work experience in consumer-facing technology company
- 5- 7 years of work experience involving quantitative data analysis
- Database experience with advanced SQL or SQL-like skills (Hadoop-Hive); experience researching and manipulating complex and large data sets
- Working knowledge of data and statistical analysis (e.g. Cohort analysis, Campaign Analysis, A/B tests)
- Experience with data visualization tools like Tableau
- Ability to communicate information effectively to a variety of groups at different levels
- Willingness to dig-in and understand the data and to leverage creative thinking and problem-solving skills are absolute musts
- Self-starter who takes the initiative to get things done
- Outstanding team player with a customer-back mindset
- Working level Korean and English fluency
- Masters or PhD degree in a quantitative discipline: statistics, operations research, computer science, informatics, engineering, applied mathematics, economics, etc.
- Experience in e-commerce and/or search
- Experience with manipulating massive-scale clickstream data
- Experience with causal inference
- Experience with Hadoop or other MapReduce paradigms, and associated languages such as Pig, Hive, etc.
- Excellent communications skills, with the ability to synthesize, simplify and explain complex problems to different types of audience, including executives
Recruitment Process & Others
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Details to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Job titles and responsibilities may be subject to change depending on the candidate’s overall experience, etc. This will be communicated to the candidate at the appropriate time before the offer.
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang as stated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
Document Return Policy (This notice MUST be included in a job posting in Korea only to comply with the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.)
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company (Coupang Recruiting Team, Tower 730, 570 Songpa-daero, Songpa-gu, Seoul). In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.
Equal Opportunities for All
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. Our unprecedented success could not be possible without the valuable inputs of our globally diverse team.