Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door. Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection, and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year. We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea. Korea is home to one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce opportunities anywhere in the world.
We have been named as one of the ‘50 Smartest Companies in the World’ by MIT Technology Review, and as one of Forbes magazine’s ‘30 Global Game Changers.’ In 2020, we placed second on CNBC’s ‘Disruptor 50’ list.
The Fulfillment Center (FC) Systems Tech organization within Fulfillment and Transportation Systems (FTS) Technology is responsible for the systems that enable Coupang to reliably fulfill customer orders in a FC within hours of order placement. FC Systems Tech is on a mission to innovate logistics by building an efficient FC ecosystem that operates at breakthrough scale and speeds. We are looking for an experienced and passionate engineering leader that can drive direction on technology, successfully champion and align with other tech leaders and stakeholders, influence and build trust with teams, and execute delivery of complex systems considering scalability, future extensibility, and reliability.
The desired candidate will help FC Systems Tech build systems that drive the overall process and workflow of Coupang's fulfillment systems. This work will not only include designing and building world-class systems, but also drive adoption of advanced technologies in automation, robotics, and process optimization. The work will result in increased efficiencies in operations that allow Coupang to offer even faster fulfillment times, more coverage and capacity, at lower cost.
This position will report directly to the Head of FC Systems and will offer the autonomy to explore various technical areas in order to discover big innovations.
- Lead and drive architecture design of FC systems for scale, future extensibility, and reliability
- Envision and drive alignment with stakeholders of the appropriate roadmap and future direction of technology for FC systems
- Navigate and alleviate technical obstacles and blockers at the organizational level
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straightforward solutions, providing mechanisms for the teams to prioritize ruthlessly and “move with urgency.”
- Write code when necessary to lead by example and help with high priority projects
- Proactively identify opportunities in both business and technology
- Review, advise, and carry out the adoption of new technology (both open-source and commercial) that are useful in achieving business objectives
- Recruit and develop world-class engineering talent
- Drive development of automation and robotics initiatives
- 7+ years of experience in software development at technology companies
- Solid track record of delivering large and complex systems with significant business impact
- Experience of designing and developing large-scale distributed systems and architectures
- 7+ years of experience in developing and operating backend services and web applications
- Broad and deep understanding of key technologies in storage, data processing, and serving
- Excellent communications and collaborations across teams and across functionalities
- Capable of object-oriented design and development
- Strong familiarity developing with Java and the Spring Framework
- Service development and operational experience in an AWS environment
- Experience driving improvements in code quality
- Experience using ORM such as JPA, Hibernate, and domain modeling
- Experience with logistics-related service development
- Experience in automating build/test/deploy
- Experience with bulk data processing using NoSQL solutions
- Experience with Git system for version control
- Experience with relational and column-oriented databases
- Agile experience
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. At Coupang, your base pay is one part of your total compensation. The base pay for this position ranges from $142,000/year in our lowest geographic market to $309,000/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on several factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life, AD&D insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) & Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Long-term/Short-term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- 18-21 days of the Paid Time Off (PTO) a year based on the tenure
- 12 Public Holidays
- Paid Parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- MTV - [Free] Electric Car Charging Station
“Other Compensation” includes, but is not limited to: bonuses, equity, or other forms of compensation that would be offered to the hired applicant in addition to their established salary range or wage scale.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. Our unprecedented success could not be possible without the valuable inputs of our globally diverse team.