We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living more effortless than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies with an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a significant global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurs surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, hyper-connected world.
Coupang relies on technology to provide on-time, fast delivery of products to customers every day. The Global Inventory and Promise Systems organization (GIPS) is responsible for promises made to customers around inventory, serviceability, and delivery dates. And based on that promise, optimizes for fulfillment such that fulfillment can happen at the lowest possible cost while maintaining the promise date. Promise to customers involves real-time synchronization of inventory and serviceability data across multiple systems and serving of that promise at large scale and low latency. This creates unique tech challenges in terms of low-latency event processing, low-latency data serving, and consistency challenges. Building highly available, low latency, scalable, strong, consistent systems to handle billions of promise requests made per day is a complex architectural challenge. The ideal candidate will have excellent engineering skills, business sense, and rich experience leading the build of extensible and scalable solutions to solve complex business features.
What You Will Do
- Lead and drive architecture design of Promise Engine systems for scale, consistency, low latency, future extensibility, and reliability.
- Envision and drive alignment with stakeholders of the appropriate roadmap and future technology direction for Promise Engine systems.
- Navigate and alleviate technical obstacles and blockers at the organizational level.
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straightforward solutions, providing mechanisms for the teams to prioritize ruthlessly and “move with urgency.”
- Participate in the architecture, development, testing, deployment, and delivery of large-scale global software applications, systems, platforms, services, or technologies.
- Write code when necessary to lead by example and help with high-priority projects.
- 10+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams in a fast-moving environment.
- 10+ years of experience in developing and operating backend services and web applications for low latency servicing and messaging systems using complex event processing.
- 7+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Experience building complex, high-performance, highly available distributed software systems successfully delivered to customers.
- Experience in collaborating with cross-functional teams to define mission, vision, and roadmaps.
- Experience partnering with product and program management teams.
- Experience with distributed cache such as Apache Ignite, Redis, etc., with distributed processing of data streams using Spark and Flink.
- Experience with Kafka, Stream Processing, Complex Event Processing, data synchronization between systems, low latency serving systems, and inventory management.
- Experience in building strongly consistent and low latency data synchronization and processing systems.
- Solid engineering skills as a lead engineer to coach and lead high-performing software engineers and keep them motivated.
- Demonstrated leadership in a cross-functional, highly collaborative environment.
- Track record of developing engineers through various career stages and building high-performance teams.
- Demonstrated focus on continuously improving systems, software, and processes through data analysis and metrics.
- Able to operate independently and lead through ambiguity in fast-paced environments.
- Experience with AWS.
Pay & Benefits
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. At Coupang, your base pay is one part of your total compensation.
The base pay for this position ranges from $153,090/year in our lowest geographic market to $284,310/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on several factors, including market location, and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
General Description of All Benefits
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life, AD&D insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) & Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
- Long-term/Short-term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- 18-21 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) a year based on tenure
- 12 Public Holidays
- Paid Parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- MTV - [Free] Electric Car Charging Station
General Description of Other Compensation
“Other Compensation” includes, but is not limited to, bonuses, equity, or other forms of compensation offered to the hired applicant in addition to their established salary range or wage scale.
Coupang is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Coupang is also committed to providing a safe work environment for its employees and consumers. As a condition of employment, Coupang requires employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, subject to legally required accommodations. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .