Senior Director of Engineering, Marketplace
Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. We are on a mission to revolutionize everyday lives for our customers, employees and partners. We solve problems no one has solved before to create a world where people ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley. We are on a mission to create a world without tradeoffs for our customers as we Aim High and Find a Way to Wow our Customers. We have been named one of the “50 Smartest Companies in the World” by MIT Technology Review and “30 Global Game Changers” by Forbes.
The Coupang’s Global Marketplace Engineering Team is responsible for building the next generation Marketplace platform that allows Sellers to bring the widest possible quality selection of items globally available at competitive prices to Coupang’s customers in an efficient manner. We are building full-stack engineering teams to scale up our systems for the vast and growing selection offered by Sellers in our marketplace.
This role requires leadership of one of the most critical systems that ingest hundreds of millions of listings, enabling quality experience for our Sellers from Listings and Order Fulfillment to Settlements. We provide intelligence for Sellers to optimize their Selection, prices, and fulfillment experience to Coupang’s customer needs, enabling Coupang to become most trusted marketplace globally. We are looking for a leader who has previous E-commerce leadership experience and led distributed systems development.
What You Will Do
You will provide leadership for our Global Marketplace Engineering team including Seller Success, Quality Selection Growth and Marketplace Fulfillment Operations (domestic and global).
As Senior Director of Engineering, Marketplace, you will lead global engineering teams and partner with leaders of multiple platform teams. You will work closely with the Marketplace product team to define and implement the quarterly OKRs at both the system and team levels. You will be responsible for hiring and developing Leaders and engineers to drive Coupang’s Marketplace growth and raising the bar on engineering excellence. You will partner closely with internal stakeholders across engineering, science, Operations, business, and finance functions in ensuring that our customers get have access to a vast selection of quality items at competitive prices with rocket speed on Coupang.
As Sr. Director of Engineering for Marketplace, you will lead multiple full stack development teams using JAVA, SQL, Postgres, AWS, Kafka, Spark, HBase, and big data technologies. You will be accountable for hiring and developing technical leaders and top talent, raising the bar on engineering and operational excellence.
In this role, you will:
- Build and manage highly efficient and empowered teams that innovate on behalf of our customers and sellers.
- Align with stakeholders, develop strong leaders and lead engineers on mission critical projects to resolve complex business problems.
- Envision roadmaps for the scalable and robust growth of Coupang’s Marketplace.
- Demand excellence resulting in scalable systems and services with the highest quality architecture and design.
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straightforward solutions, providing mechanisms for the teams to prioritize ruthlessly and “move with urgency”.
- Dive deep into system architecture and critical system issues, proactively addressing similar root causes, enabling teams to raise the bar on Operational Excellence.
- Collaborate with other Coupang tech teams to make the service extensible to unlock opportunities for innovation
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- At least 10+ years of experience in designing and leading development of scalable, highly available services developed in Java and database environment
- At least 8+ years for leading an engineering team handling large volume of data transactions.
- 5+ years of E-commerce technology leadership experience with large-scale systems.
- Proven track record of leading teams for delivering mission critical systems.
- Experience developing Directors, Managers and growing senior individual contributors globally.
- Proven ability to set Technology Vision by working backwards from customer needs and deliver innovative solutions.
- Ability to think strategically, with exceptional skills in diving deep and raising the bar on engineering and operational excellence.
- Experience with cloud computing using AWS or Azure or GCP.
- Proven delivery of technology innovations for E-commerce Marketplace Sellers.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and leading the delivery of large-scale services for complex business offerings.
- Ability to influence cross functional stakeholders, prioritize ruthlessly, Aim High and Find a Way to deliver results with grit.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com .