We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
Coupang’s Rocket Growth Engineering Team is responsible for building the next generation fulfillment by Coupang platform that allows Sellers to bring the widest possible quality selection of items available at competitive prices to Coupang’s customers in a convenient manner. We are building full-stack engineering teams to scale up our systems for the vast and growing selection.
This role requires leadership of one of the most critical systems that will ingest millions of listings, enabling quality experience for our Sellers from Listings, and Order Fulfillment to Settlements. We provide intelligence for Sellers to optimize their Selection, prices, and fulfillment experience to Coupang’s customer needs, enabling Coupang to become most trusted selling platform. We are looking for a leader who has previous E-commerce leadership experience and led distributed systems development.
What You Will Do
You will provide technical leadership for our Rocket Growth (RG) Engineering team including Seller Success, Quality Selection Growth, and Settlements for domestic and global marketplaces. As a Senior Staff Engineer, RG, you will partner with leaders of multiple platform teams. You will work closely with the product team to define and implement simple solutions of complex problems while ensuring that our customers get have access to a vast selection of quality items at competitive prices with rocket speed on Coupang. You will technically guide teams working on full stack development teams using JAVA, SQL, Postgres, AWS, Kafka, Spark, HBase, and big data technologies. You will be accountable for hiring and developing technical leaders and top talent, raising the bar on engineering and operational excellence.
In this role, you will:
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straightforward solutions, providing mechanisms for the teams to prioritize ruthlessly and “move with urgency”.
- Envision roadmaps for the scalable and robust growth of Coupang’s Rocket On-Demand business.
- Align with stakeholders, develop strong developers and provide technical guidance to engineers on critical projects to resolve complex business problems.
- Demonstrate excellence resulting in scalable systems and services with the highest quality architecture and design.
- Dive deep into critical system issues, proactively addressing similar root causes, and raise the bar on Operational Excellence.
- Collaborate with other Coupang tech leaders to make the service extensible to unlock opportunities for innovations.
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- At least 10+ years of experience in designing and developing scalable, highly available services developed in Java and database environment
- At least 5+ years being a technical lead handling large volume of data transactions.
- Proven track record of delivering mission critical systems.
- Experience developing and growing senior individual contributors globally.
- Experience with cloud computing using AWS or Azure or GCP.
- 3+ years of E-commerce technology leadership experience with large-scale systems.
- Proven ability to set Technology Vision by working backwards from customer needs and deliver innovative solutions.
- Ability to think strategically, with exceptional skills in diving deep and raising the bar on engineering and operational excellence.
- Proven delivery of technology innovations for E-commerce Marketplace Sellers.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and leading the delivery of large-scale services for complex business offerings.
- Ability to influence cross functional stakeholders, prioritize ruthlessly, Aim High and Find a Way to deliver results with grit.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, or affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.