We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
The Search & Discovery Product Engineering team is building an inspiring search and discovery journey for Coupang customers, help our users find products easier and discover more products to live their life to the best.
We are looking for smart, passionate people who have a strong sense of ownership. If you want your work to positively impact the lives of millions of people and you are up for a change, let's talk! As the backend engineer of Search and Discovery Product team, you will own one of the most critical product surfaces on Coupang's app – Search and Discovery surfaces where 60%+ of transactions happen.
What You Will Do
- Root causes the bottle neck of the current system architecture of search experience
- Propose solutions which address these bottlenecks and leverage the state-of-the-art system technologies
- Build brand new user experience product for Coupang search and discovery experience
- Help to maintain and improve one or several of most critical services to make sure we are wowing customers constantly
- Knit across teams by collaborating with Product managers and designers and other functions to build holistic experience that's right for Coupang users
- Contribute best-in-class programming skills to develop highly innovative consumer-facing mobile products
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience with distributed systems, system programming and backend development
- 8+ years of solid work with fundamental algorithms, system design, and large distributed systems. Big bonus if you have React Web development previously
- 8+ years of coding experience in one of the following: with: Java, Go
- Bachelor / Master / PHD degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience in building and owning critical user-facing API platform and corresponding backend systems, and solving complex design, scaling, latency, or performance problems in high-volume low-latency distributed systems
- Strong communication skills and great product sense
- Strong passion for building products
- Strong ownership, having experience of working in early startups is a plus
- Embrace messiness, wants to be challenged with complex issues
- Scrappy and willing to take risks
Pay & Benefits
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. At Coupang, your base pay is one part of your total compensation.
The base pay for this position ranges from $159,000/year in our lowest geographic market to $324,000/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on several factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
General Description of All Benefits
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life, AD&D insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) & Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Long-term/Short-term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- 18-21 days of the Paid Time Off (PTO) a year based on the tenure
- 12 Public Holidays
- Paid Parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- MTV - [Free] Electric Car Charging Station
General Description of Other Compensation
“Other Compensation” includes, but is not limited to, bonuses, equity, or other forms of compensation that would be offered to the hired applicant in addition to their established salary range or wage scale.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Coupang is also committed to providing a safe work environment for its employees and its consumers.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .