We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
The Recommendation team is responsible for Coupang’s related product recommendation, personalized gateway, widget ranking, and product review quality. Related product recommendation is a fast-growing area and we are continuously improving recommendation quality to help more and more customers find the best products for them. We have also started investing in personalized Gateway, aiming to build one of the best e-commerce discovery experiences. We use the state of the art Machine Learning and Deep Learning technologies, and we continuously innovate and build highly scalable systems to support the growing business and customer engagement.
About the Role
As a Senior Backend Engineer for Recommendations, you will be responsible for the design, development and maintenance of the Recommendation ecosystem. This encompasses our online ranking system, multiple data pipeline that produces the features (offline and online) used across our different ranking logics, a serving system that produces content for most of Coupang app. You will need to collaborate closely with the Silicon Valley team that share ownership of the system.
- Own the Recommendation service, one of the most critical for Coupang to make sure we are wowing customers constantly.
- Collaborate tightly with the Silicon Valley team to co-build a world class recommendation system
- Knit across teams by collaborating with product managers and designers and other functions to build holistic experience that's right for Coupang users.
- Lead each step of the product development process, from ideation to implementation to release; from rapidly prototyping, running A/B tests, to architecting and building solutions that can scale to support millions of users.
- Contribute best-in-class programming skills to develop highly innovative consumer-facing mobile products
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or electrical/electronic engineering, mathematics or equivalent
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience with distributed systems, transactional datastores, and systems programming
- 2+ years of solid work with fundamental algorithms, system design, and large distributed systems
- 2+ years of coding experience in one of the following: with: C++, Java, Scala
- Experience in building and owning critical user-facing API platform and corresponding backend data systems, and solving complex design, scaling, latency, or performance problems in high-volume low-latency distributed systems
- Strong communication skills
- Professional Korean proficiency
- Experience in distributed processing using EMR, Spark, Hive, or other big data frameworks
- Experience in Stream-processing systems (Kafka, Storm, Spark-Streaming or equivalent)
- Excellent communicator with great listening skills, growth mindset and can-do attitude