We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e- commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
You will play a lead role in supporting Coupang’s Private Label Brands (CPLB) in their mission to deliver high-quality products at competitive prices and present maximum value to our customers. Your duties will include (1) providing comprehensive legal support for CPLB’s products and services, (2) providing advisory support for various matters for CPLB’s business teams, and (3) developing and enhancing the legal risk management framework. We are looking for passionate builders who can work with us to implement creative solutions and achieve results.
- Comprehensive Legal Support: Provide comprehensive legal support for CPLB products and services, including advising business partners on all legal, regulatory, policy, compliance and contractual matters.
- Legal risk management: Contribute to designing and enhancing CPLB’s risk management frameworks, including: (1) developing policies and procedures for contract standards and policy requirements for suppliers and other critical ecommerce business partners, (2) establishing legal risk assessment, review, and approval requirements, (3) overseeing compliance within the legal risk management framework, and (4) building mechanisms across legal, corporate support, and business teams to improve compliance, contract standards, risk assessments and relationship management across Coupang.
- Respond to administrative inquiries from government agencies and settlement demands, defend commercial disputes, including leading outside counsel in litigation.
- Assist in developing, implementing and improving regulatory compliance projects and training.
- Collaboration: Work closely with Deputy General Counsel and internal business partners in Korea, China, and U.S., on company-wide initiatives and to provide globally aligned legal advice that appropriately balances domestic and global needs. Demonstrate strong individual ownership and deft project management with other team members. Mentor other attorneys and manage outside counsel retained to provide legal services.
- Qualified to practice law in the Republic of Korea.
- Qualification in major common law jurisdiction (e.g. U.S., United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Australia, Singapore) preferred but not required.
- 10+ years of post-qualification legal experience.
- Mixed experience at multinational corporation and top law firm a plus.
- Fluency (reading/writing/speaking) in Korean and English.
- Exceptional ability to consistently deliver creative, thoughtful and business-oriented results that appropriately balance growth and risk in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
- Willingness to learn voraciously and take on new scope and challenges.
- Ability to adapt easily to rapid and diverse business changes.
- Strong and effective communication skills, both oral and written, including with senior management and various corporate departments.
- Sound judgment in developing and implementing legal solutions.
- Bilingual (English & Korean)
Recruitment Process and Others:
- Recruitment Process: Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite Interview - Offer
(The recruitment process may be different depending on the job and may be changed due to scheduling and circumstances.)
- This job post may be closed early if all openings are filled.
b. If there is any false information in the application, the offer may be cancelled.
c. Veteran status or disability will not result in any disadvantages in the recruitment process.
d. Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Equal Opportunities for All
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. Our unprecedented success could not be possible without the valuable inputs of our globally diverse team.