Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea. Korea is home to one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce opportunities anywhere in the world.
Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. We are on a mission to revolutionize everyday lives for our customers, employees and partners. We solve problems no one has solved before to create a world where people ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
Coupang’s Marketplace Content and Image Science (MCIS) team is a core science and machine learning function for ensuring high quality marketplace content, which ultimately brings best customer shopping experience. We leverage state of the art deep learning and machine learning (DL/ML) to represent, process and glean rich visual and textual signals from seller content. We dedicated in building (DL/ML) innovations and platforms in coupang’s marketplace space, and enable other teams to tap into automations and information opportunities uniquely provided by DL/ML. Our scope includes but is not limited to content embedding and indexing platform, visual attribute extraction platform, Image moderation and quality control automation, product categorization services, counterfeit and illegal product detection. We incubate machine learning solutions in domain teams such as pricing, catalog and marketplace. We then scale, platformize and democratize successful solutions for other teams to reuse. We are looking for a passionate staff data scientist to join us for innovation!
- Proactively communicate with engineering, product and business teams to identify opportunities, clarify requirements in catalog and marketplace areas to improve coupang’s customer experience.
- Breakdown complex and ambiguous problem contexts. Be able to prioritize long term strategic efforts and short-term solutions. Clearly define success/failure metrics and iterate through experimentations with urgency to arrive at the optimal implementation.
- Prototyping and implementing scalable and reliable data science solutions that are challenging and not readily available from literatures and open source libraries. Constantly innovate for new science solutions. Your work is at publication level or can be patented.
- Own the entire life cycle of machine learning model development as well as end to end solution from upstream data source to downstream output and integration.
- Drive data science initiatives across team boundaries to arrive at science and engineering solutions that can be re used across multiple teams.
- Mentor junior scientists and engineers. Advocate Science excellence and best practice within the team and across the marketplace organization. Learning and Keeping up, publishing with the latest frontier in machine learning research and innovation. Collaborate with engineers, scientists, managers, product managers to build data science community and learning culture within the marketplace organization.
- Engage with senior leadership, product owner(s), engineers, and managers in developing and executing data science vision, strategy and roadmap within Catalog and Marketplace.
- Influence the product and technology direction of Coupang
- Master’s in Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, or equivalent quantitative fields
- 7+ years of hands on experience in one or multiple areas in machine learning. You are considered an expert on machine learning, deep Learning and Natural Language Processing or Computer Vision.
- 7+ years of hands on data analysis, statistical analysis on solving problems at industrial level ultra scale. Hands on experience with cloud environment and data lake.
- Familiarize with one or multiple of the following languages and tools: Python, Java, Pytorch, Tensorflow, Keras, Pyspark, Hive.
- Experience in successfully implementing and deploying scalable and reliable data science solutions and defining metrics in large scale production systems with positive business impact. Experience in owning end to end solution and full machine learning model development cycle.
- Proven track records of communication, gathering requirements, planning and driving technical roadmaps, cross team initiatives and vision, and delivering results. (influence without authority, citizen ship, technical leadership)
- Proven track records of tackling large problems or efforts that are not clearly defined, involving multiple steps or the integration of different techniques and functional areas. (dealing with ambiguities)
- PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, AI or equivalent
- 10+ years of extensive data science related experience including statistical data analysis, ETL pipelines, machine learning modeling, machine learning engineering etc. Considered an expert in one or more of the following areas: Machine Learning, Deep learning, NLP, Computer Vision, Image processing and OCR. Have extensive data science
- Proven track record of scientific innovation, influential open source projects, publications in relevant machine learning and data mining conferences and journals. ( some influence in the industry )
- Proven record of engaging business stake holders and multiple teams to work through complex science and machine learning system problems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to clearly explain technical problems to peers, cross-functional teams, and company wide audience.
- Proven record of defining vision, roadmap and lead the technical execution of large data science initiatives across multiple teams.
- Experience in mentoring less experienced data scientists and engineers. Experience in advocating data driven culture and best practices across teams and leadership levels.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Coupang is also committed to providing a safe work environment for its employees and its consumers. As a condition of employment, Coupang requires employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, subject to legally required accommodations. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com .