Coupang is one of the largest e-Commerce companies in Asia, with a mission to revolutionize the everyday lives of its customers and create a world where people wonder, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Coupang offers a variety of services, including same-day and next-morning delivery of groceries and general merchandise, delivery of prepared foods through Coupang Eats, and video streaming through Coupang Play. Coupang has offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Singapore, Shanghai, Silicon Valley, Taipei, and Tokyo.
The Global Procurement Team at Coupang serve in a pivotal role, leading strategic sourcing engagements across a wide range of business units, with the primary objective to reduce OpEx and CapEx spend annually against third party spend as well as maintain supply continuity of key materials/services and foster strong business relationship with our key suppliers. Spend categories under management of the global procurement team include 1) Indirect Materials and Services (Professional Services, Finance, Legal, Marketing, Contingent Labor, Outsourced Services), 2) Technology Sourcing (HW, SW, Networking, Webhosting), 3) Direct Supplies and Fulfillment (Domestic Logistics - Middle and Last Mile and Packaging), 4) Construction and Automation Equipment (Material Handling Equipment – Sorters, Conveyors, Automated Guided Vehicles, Goods-to-person, Shelf Racks, Mezzanine) and, 5) Global e-Commerce & MRO (Cross Border Logistics - FF, Airfreight/Ocean/Customs Brokerage/Last Mile, MRO, Industrial Supplies and Equipment).
In this role, the Principal, Procurement will be setting the direction as the single-threaded owner for the MRO, Industrial Supplies and Equipment categories and support individual initiatives for Global X-Border Logistics, new country launch and international markets procurement.
You will be reporting into the Director of Procurement, Global E-Commerce, MRO/Industrial Supplies & International Markets.
- Develop 1-3-5-year category management vision, strategies, and objectives to deliver against broader business objectives - including market research/benchmarks, milestones, savings targets, supply continuity, resource requirements, and implementation plans.
- Manage successful execution of portfolio of initiatives and lead operations related to sourcing and procurement activities for MRO, Industrial Supplies and Equipment Category.
- Serve as the central ‘procurement launch manager’ for new country launches and support existing procurement teams on-demand.
- Identify and execute strategic initiatives to drive maximum cost savings and value creation for the organization.
- Establish strong relationships with internal stakeholders; build a strong understanding of the category, strategic business / operations direction.
- Manage strategic sourcing process and define strategies that consolidate and optimize both the supplier base and quality services at optimal costs.
- Perform leadership role in key procurement activities, including request for proposal (RFx) development and execution, Statement of Work (SOW) contract drafting, and pricing and contract negotiations.
- Conduct supplier relationship and performance management initiatives and drive continuous improvement through regular weekly, monthly and quarterly business reviews.
- Develop and report on procurement activity (health and metrics) and recommends changes in methods and procedures based on report outcome.
- Providing guidance to internal stakeholders on procurement strategies; driving procurement ethics in accordance with Coupang’s global policies.
- Bachelor's or equivalent degree from an accredited College or University; MBA or Advanced Certifications preferred: Institute of Supply Management (CPSM), SPSM, MCIPS.
- Minimum 10+ years of previous Procurement/Sourcing and related experience.
- SME level expertise within MRO, Industrial Supplies, Equipment, logistics (airfreight, ocean freight, E-2-E freight forwarding, logistics technology) and end-to-end tactical procurement.
- Expertise in developing long-term complex category strategies with savings up-side, factoring in internal and external market environments.
- Knowledge and experience with Procurement applications (e.g. e-RFx, e-Auction, Ariba, P2P).
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects in a growth-oriented environment requiring frequent communication, organization, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to quickly synthesize, distill and draw conclusions on large amounts of disparate data.
- Relationship building and collaboration with key executives and business partners; ability to influence without authority.
- Strong reputation as an outstanding negotiator; personally responsible for leading complex agreements with leading suppliers for favorable cost and supply arrangements.
- Deep understanding of cost drivers and cost models; analytical ability to connect this to favorable financial terms.
- Results-oriented leader known for employing fact-based analysis, ability to roll up one’s sleeves, world-class process expertise and well-honed negotiation skills to achieve breakthrough performance.
- Global experience and an understanding of the nuances and differences among business cultures; able and willing to travel extensively.
- Extensive knowledge of contract management and deep understanding of the basic types of commercial agreement structures and purpose of key legal terms.
- Passionate self-starter with the highest integrity and ethics.
- Strong experience assessing risk and concisely explaining complex issues to the business owners.
- General Management demeanor that stretches beyond procurement across the business as a whole; strategic business-mind and ability to see the big picture.
- Fluent in written and spoken Korean and English.
Recruitment Process and Others:
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Things to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang as stated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
Document Return Policy
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “ Company ”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company by email ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.