We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
You will lead continuous improvement initiatives to reduce risk in our processes and to ensure a safe and healthful working environment for our employees. A successful EHS manager will demonstrate the ability to build trust and confidence across various departments and be willing and able to conduct comprehensive risk assessments.
You must be an effective communicator and send clear, concise, and consistent messages, both verbally and in writing. You will instruct and train employees in EHS and quality policies and assist in incorporating our standards at the Riverside Fulfillment Center (FC). You will work to identify best practices and incorporate these standard methodologies into our standards to continuously improve the EHS and quality landscape.
The EHS Manager will be instrumental in maintaining the safety-first culture at the Riverside FC. The EHS Manager will work with supervisors and managers to coordinate successful execution of safety, environmental, quality, and health related activities. This manager will assist with maintaining a safety-focused culture that promotes safety awareness among all warehouse workers.
- Conduct training as it relates to new and or improved EHS/Quality procedures and policies.
- Support the workers compensation programs and workplace ergonomics programs.
- Ensure daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly inspections, including eye wash showers, emergency lighting, ladders, and fire extinguishers are being completed.
- Be actively involved in onsite food safety and dangerous goods shipping programs.
- Ensure training for high hazard equipment (Baler, wrap machines, pallet jacks, ect) is up to date and completed.
- Help plan and coordinate emergency evacuation drills.
- Ensure timely injury reporting and completed incident investigations with on-site agency representatives, Coupang managers and workers. Conduct root cause analysis of safety incidents to improve overall safety at the facility. Follow-up on Injury and liability claims.
- Assist with maintaining required paperwork such as OSHA 300 logs, injury metrics, and California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) fillings.
- Maintain and drive key OSHA programs such as LOTO, Confined Space, Electrical Safety, Powered Industrial Truck (PIT) Safety, Fall Protection, BBP, and Contractor Safety.
- Possess a thorough understanding of OSHA, Cal-OSHA, EPA, DTSC, and CUPA regulations.
- Assist in developing and performing safety inspections and audits.
- Provide input and guidance to Coupang EHS and Quality policies and procedures.
- Analyze, collect, and track EHS and Quality metrics and to discover trends and propose action plans.
- Partner with corporate legal, HR, facilities/maintenance, security, and operations, to ensure 100% compliance and continuous improvement of EHS and Quality programs.
- Partner and collaborate with onsite temporary staffing agencies teams to ensure the FC is maintaining EHS and Quality compliance.
- Mentor, coach, and counsel warehouse team on safety topics and programs. Engage workers on safety concerns.
- Provide support to supervisors and managers to mitigate health and safety hazards to warehouse workers and contractors. Work closely with the Head of EHS, US in the assessment of safety hazards and risks and following mitigation activities.
- Maintain EHS and facilities related records and ensure compliance with the company’s policies / procedures.
- Help ensure compliance in resolution of non-compliant issues and concerns; support site Injury Illness Prevent Program (IIPP). Be actively involved in supporting the hazardous waste management program, SCAQMD rules, California Stormwater Program, and industrial wastewater programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requires 5+ years of increasing responsibilities in safety and/or environmental programs in warehousing, manufacturing, or service operations.
Familiarity with OSHA, EPA, food safety, and other safety, environmental, and quality regulations.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or 7+ years EHS Manager experience
Experience with performance metrics, process improvement, or ISO 14001 or 45001 experience.
Regular hours will be Monday to Friday, but the facility is 24 hours, so candidates must be flexible to work weekends and/or overnight shifts as needed.
Preferred CSP, CIH, ASP, CHMM, or other EHS related certification.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite Programs (i.e.: Microsoft Work, Excel)
- Experience with EHS management system software
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills – written, oral, reading and understanding.
- Ability to work extended hours and weekends
JUDGEMENT/REASONING ABILITY: Able to identify, troubleshoot and resolve problems quickly using sound judgment, poise, and diplomacy. Ability to use judgment and reasoning skills, and determine when to escalate issues, as required, in a timely manner. Ability to respond quickly to concerns and issues raised by workers. Able to develop solutions to safety issues and personally implement solutions quickly. Able to engage with supervisors, managers, and workers to enforce safety requirements.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, individuals will be regularly required to sit, stand, walk, and occasionally bend and move around the facility.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The noise in the work environment is usually moderate. Other factors are:
- Ability to travel if needed. Travel is minimal in this position.
- Fast-paced with multi-level distractions
- Professional, yet casual work environment
- Warehouse and Distribution environment
- Must be willing to work swing shift (1pm –10pm)
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Coupang is also committed to providing a safe work environment for its employees and its consumers. As a condition of employment, Coupang requires employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, subject to legally required accommodations. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .