Title : Director of Engineering, Warehouse Automation System (FTS, Fulfillment and Transportation System)
Location : Seoul, Korea
We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
As our Director of Engineering for Warehouse Automation Systems, you’ll be a results-oriented leader who will create our next generation of systems that drive automation at fulfillment centers, which fulfills millions of units per day and is critical to the success of Coupang’s Rocket Delivery. Our ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment, relishes building high-performing systems, and enjoys the challenge of solving complex business through technology. You will provide technical leadership to multiple teams by helping them make sound design tradeoffs while balancing tactical and strategic plans.
- Lead multiple software engineering teams in design, development, test, and deployment of a critical set of services.
- Make analytical data-driven decisions applying strong technical ability to audit and design systems, manage engineering projects and evangelize your team's products and ideas
- Hire the best, mentor and develop your team
- Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Responsible for both development and operations of the services
- Report on status of work, quality, and operations, and system performance to management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field with 7+ years of experience.
- 5+ years of experience leading a software development team through multiple product/platform releases.
- Demonstrated proficiency with an object-oriented programming language; strong object-oriented design and algorithmic analysis background.
- A passion for people management and mentorship
- Experience building and operating distributed systems that are highly available.
- Deep experience building high quality software with the Agile processes: Software design, code reviews, QA process
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a proven ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Master’s or Ph.D Degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- Experience building complex, high-performance, and highly available distributed software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
- Experience developing Warehouse Management and Automation Systems
Recruitment Process and Others
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Details to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Job titles and responsibilities may be subject to change depending on the candidate’s overall experience, etc. This will be communicated to the candidate at the appropriate time before the offer.
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang as stated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
Document Return Policy (This notice MUST be included in a job posting in Korea only to comply with the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.)
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company (Coupang Recruiting Team, Tower 730, 570 Songpa-daero, Songpa-gu, Seoul). In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.