We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world
The Developer Platform team is responsible Coupang’s developer experiences including Coupang’s internal workload management and microservice ecosystem which scales to thousands of microservices. We are in a process to revolutionize our developer experiences and internal infrastructure by adopting the best technologies available.
We are looking for an architect who has deep understanding of distributed system, hands-on experiences in large scale backend services, Kubernetes, gRPC and service mesh. You will be responsible to design the architecture and lead the team to deliver a modern platform that powers all Coupang’s internal services.
What You Will Do
As a Director in Developer platform, you will partner with leaders of multiple platform teams. You will work closely with the product team to define and implement simple solutions of complex infrastructure problems while ensuring to build a highly scalable, reliable, and efficient platform for our customers. You will technically guide teams working on full stack development teams using JAVA, AWS, Kafka, Kubernetes, gRPC and service mesh. You will be accountable for hiring and developing technical leaders and top talent, raising the bar on engineering and operational excellence.
In this role, you will:
- Manage the engineering team, hire and develop technical leadership in team.
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straightforward solutions, providing mechanisms for the teams to prioritize ruthlessly and “move with urgency”.
- Envision roadmaps for the scalable and robust growth of Coupang’s growing Application infrastructure.
- Align with stakeholders, develop strong developers and provide technical guidance to engineers on critical projects to resolve complex business problems.
- Demonstrate excellence resulting in scalable systems and services with the highest quality architecture and design.
- Dive deep into critical system issues, proactively addressing similar root causes, and raise the bar on Operational Excellence.
- Collaborate with other Coupang tech leaders to make the service extensible to unlock opportunities for innovations.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related technical fields.
- 10+ years professional software development experience, or 8 years’ experience with advanced degree.
- 4+ years’ experience of project tech lead.
- Hands-on experience in designing and developing large scale distributed system in the last 4 years.
- Fluency in one or more among C++, Java and Go.
- Proven track record of delivering mission critical systems.
- Experience developing and growing senior individual contributors globally.
- Experience with cloud computing using AWS or Azure or GCP.
- Experience in Kubernetes, gRPC, Envoy proxy and Envoy xDS API.
- Experience in concurrency, multi-threading, synchronization, and non-blocking IO.
- Deep understanding of operating system kernel and distributed system such as Kafka, Cassandra, and Google Spanner.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and leading the delivery of large-scale services for complex business offerings.
- Ability to influence cross functional stakeholders, prioritize ruthlessly, Aim High and Find a Way to deliver results with grit.
- Effective Communication
- Master’s or PhD degree in computer science or other related technical fields.
Pay & Benefits
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. At Coupang, your base pay is one part of your total compensation.
The base pay for this position ranges from $170,100/year in our lowest geographic market to $315,900/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on several factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
General Description of All Benefits
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life, AD&D insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) & Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Long-term/Short-term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- 18-21 days of the Paid Time Off (PTO) a year based on the tenure
- 12 Public Holidays
- Paid Parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- MTV - [Free] Electric Car Charging Station
General Description of Other Compensation
“Other Compensation” includes, but is not limited to, bonuses, equity, or other forms of compensation that would be offered to the hired applicant in addition to their established salary range or wage scale.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Coupang is also committed to providing a safe work environment for its employees and its consumers. As a condition of employment, Coupang requires employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, subject to legally required accommodations. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .