Title : Director of Engineering, Data, Integration & Orchestration Systems (FTS, Fulfillment and Transportation System)
Location : Seoul, Korea
We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
Coupang relies on technology to provide on-time, fast delivery of products to customers every day. Data, Integration & Orchestration Systems (DIOS) organization optimizes the real-time distribution of customer orders to FCs nationwide and supports the most efficient order fulfillment process. Building highly available and scalable systems to handle billions of order & delivery transactions and support Coupang’s rapidly growing Product Commerce business is a complex architectural challenge. We are responsible for delivering products to millions of online shopping customers by improving order reconciliation with technology. To deliver on this challenge, we are looking for an Engineering Director who is an accomplished leader and is passionate about leading teams that design and build large-scale, multi-tiered, distributed software solutions. The ideal candidate will have excellent people management skills, business sense, and rich experience leading the build of extensible and scalable solutions to solve complex business features.
- Review projects' ability to deliver robust and scalable solutions toward this vision, learning and incorporating new technologies as appropriate.
- Build relationships with other Software Development Managers, Engineers and Product Managers across various Coupang engineering teams.
- Participate in the architecture, development, testing, deployment, and delivery of large-scale global software applications, systems, platforms, services or technologies.
- Participate in Agile project management methodologies to provide technical leadership and project management for all aspects of the software development lifecycle (SDLC).
- Build, manage, and develop world-class engineers including hiring recommendations and guide and mentor engineers and project managers within and outside of the team.
- Ensure high quality design reviews which meet business and architectural goals and drive critical feedback on architecture and design issues.
- Participate in strategic planning to achieve technical and business goals with team, leadership chain, and with customers.
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams in a fast-moving environment.
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers.
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Extensive experience in managing mission critical services with high throughput and low latency.
- Experience in collaborating with cross-functional teams to define mission, vision, and roadmaps.
- Experience partnering with product and program management teams.
- Solid people management skills to coach and lead high performing software engineers and keep them motivated.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills to shepherd communication with end users, technical & business teams to collect requirements, describe product features, and develop technical designs to achieve business goals.
- Knowledge of Agile software engineering practices & patterns for the full software development lifecycle including coding standards, code reviews, build processes, testing, and live site operations.
- Demonstrated leadership in cross-functional, highly collaborative environment.
- Track record of developing engineers through various career stages and building high-performance teams.
- Experience building complex, high-performance, and highly available distributed software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
- Demonstrated focus on continuous improvement of systems, software and processes through data analysis and metrics.
- Able to independently operate and lead through ambiguous in fast paced environment.
Recruitment Process and Others
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Details to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Job titles and responsibilities may be subject to change depending on the candidate’s overall experience, etc. This will be communicated to the candidate at the appropriate time before the offer.
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang as stated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
Document Return Policy (This notice MUST be included in a job posting in Korea only to comply with the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.)
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company (Coupang Recruiting Team, Tower 730, 570 Songpa-daero, Songpa-gu, Seoul). In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.