We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
Problem Statement: Customers want to shop for products from around the world. Coupang is seeking a dynamic and motivated director for the Coupang Global Sourcing business. This person must be entrepreneurial by nature with demonstratable strength in business development.
Goal: The primary goal of this role is to help Coupang expand relevant selection that our customers want and drives increased loyalty.
Mission: a) Find the qualified suppliers from all over the world b)Develop the products from customers’ point of view
What you will do
The manager (director) will be responsible for 1) identifying and targeting brands for products to pursue and ultimately negotiate with the goal to get contractual agreements in place for Coupang Global Sourcing team to direct import into our rocket network. To accomplish this the individual will need to be 2) able to identify and build relationships with key influencers and decision-makers within the senior management of potential brand/supplier organizations. In addition to executing these business plans 3) the individual will also need to be able to work across a matrix organization internally with cross-functional teams.and 4) has strong leadership to develop team skills& training.
- The ideal candidate will be a strong leader, great communicator, and negotiator, and will have the business judgment and analytical horsepower to break down complex problems, the willingness to roll up his or her sleeves and a strong interest in Coupang’s Global Sourcing business.
- As leader is responsible for providing the strategic vision for the business - helping to cultivate strategic relationships with key partners, both internal and external.
- Sets the parameters and provides guidance on all key aspects of the business including sourcing, sales, marketing, and inventory management. They will be a key stakeholder, driving systematic improvements as well as championing new opportunities to grow the business and delight customers.
- Has a broad skill set including leadership development, analytical skills, excellent business judgment, strong negotiations skills, deep curiosity about how things work, and a passion for creating a world class shopping experience for our customers. She/He must be knowledgeable about the various aspects of running a business and be comfortable operating at all levels of the organization since the role requires leading through many stages in quick cycles.
- Strong at hiring & developing people. She/He will be required to build and develop a team of leaders who can launch, grow, and run new business opportunities.
- Negotiates with external suppliers, and must be comfortable working with CEOs, Chief Operating Officers, and Presidents of large, high-profile partners.
- Has excellent verbal and written communication skills and will be expected to present to senior leadership regularly.
- Entrepreneurial, innovative, and excel at “thinking big,” while also recognizing the need to coordinate his or her team’s activities within the structure of a large, fast-moving company, undaunted by a quick changing environment.
- Defines and implements long term business strategies based on trends and competitive analysis and the ability to think outside of the box to solve complex problems are critical to success.
- Educational Requirements: 4 year university degree ideally in business disciplines; MBA or further post graduate education will be advantageous.
- Proven general manager with a successful, resourceful, and hands-on track record of running a complex business end-to-end combined with strong P&L experience.
- +15years experience with strong retail, ecommerce, or product background with proven ability to drive change.
- Demonstrable ability to build lasting relationships and conduct negotiations with leading global and local brands to obtain preferable terms and win-win solutions
- Able to balance strategy with strong operational skills - able to understand, deconstruct, streamline and optimize complex, large-scale business processes
- Clear evidence of recruiting, managing and developing a team(s), both direct and indirect reports.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to influence people both internally and externally.
- Decisive and able to move with speed to implement ideas.
- A passionate self-starter, ready to take Coupang’s customer experience to the next level.
- Broad commercial awareness developed in a high-growth, fast-moving on-line / retail environment.
- Anticipate customer expectations, changing customer perceptions of online commerce in Korea and share insight with the wider leadership team
- Exhibit excellent business judgment with proven track record of generating ideas and solving problems independently
- Thinks strategically but stays on top of tactical execution with relentlessly high standards
- Technology affinity and track record of employing systems to drive simplification and change.
- BA/BS degree in Business, Trading or SCM preferred
- Fluent English & Korean Both
Recruitment Process and Others
- Recruitment Process
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
- Things to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Job titles and responsibilities may be subject to change depending on the candidate’s overall experience, etc. This will be communicated to the candidate at the appropriate time before the offer.
- Privacy Notice
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang as stated in the Application Privacy Notice located below. https://www.coupang.jobs/kr/privacy-policy
- Document Return Policy
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company (Coupang Recruiting Team, Tower 730, 570 Songpa-daero, Songpa-gu, Seoul). In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.