We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce. We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day. Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
Team and Role Description:
We are looking for an experienced attorney to join our collaborative Technology Legal team (part of Coupang’s global legal team). You will support local, regional, and global Coupang teams on technology and commercial transactions across Coupang’s businesses, operations, and footprint, including with global technology, cloud, and software vendors. You will also have opportunities to work closely with and advise Coupang teams on the technology aspects of new product and business launches.
- Technology and commercial transactions: Lead country-specific, regional, and global technology and commercial transactions. This will include drafting, reviewing, and negotiating complex technology and commercial contracts. You will have end-to-end responsibility for legal support and will be required to work in partnership with our Global Procurement, Technology, and other cross-functional teams.
- Advisory: Provide strategic legal advice on all technology legal matters, including open source software, information security, app development, and the interpretation of contractual terms and rights and obligations.
- Legal risk management: Contribute to developing and enhancing legal risk management frameworks to set the standards for contracting with third party vendors across Coupang. This will include: (1) developing policies and procedures for minimum vendor contract standards and requirements, (2) setting legal risk assessment, review, and approval requirements for vendor contracts, (3) being a central point of contact to oversee and monitor compliance with the legal risk management framework, and (4) building awareness across legal, corporate support, and business teams to improve contract standards, and risk assessment and management of vendor relationships across Coupang.
- Collaboration: Work closely and collaboratively with business partners across Coupang’s footprint in Korea, China, Taiwan, and U.S., including Global Procurement, Finance, Technology, and Security and Privacy on projects and company-wide initiatives. Demonstrate hands on experience and also the ability to handle and manage projects working closely with colleagues across Coupang’s legal teams. Manage outside counsel retained to provide legal services.
- Qualified lawyer in Korea, the U.S. or other common law jurisdiction (e.g. England, Australia, Singapore) with around 8+ years of post-qualification legal experience. Korean qualification preferred.
- Experience across both in-house and private practice is desirable.
- Business fluency in English.
- Exceptional ability to consistently deliver creative, thoughtful and business-oriented results that appropriately balance growth and risk in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
- A willingness to learn voraciously and take on new scope and challenges.
- Ability to adapt easily to rapid and diverse business changes.
- Strong and effective communication skills, both oral and written.
- Sound judgment in developing and implementing legal solutions.
Recruitment Process and Others
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Details to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Job titles and responsibilities may be subject to change depending on the candidate’s overall experience, etc. This will be communicated to the candidate at the appropriate time before the offer.
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang asstated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
Document Return Policy
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “ Company ”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company by email ( email@example.com ) In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.