We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurs surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
As part of Coupang’s Tech Infrastructure organization, the Storage Platform team manages company-wide RDBMS and NoSQL databases across all business domains. We are responsible for building highly reliable and scalable storage and database solutions for the company’s growing applications and services. In the past few years, we successfully scaled our platform to sustain peak time volume at multi-million QPS (per service), and reliability above 99.99%. As our business continues to grow tremendously, we need to move the platform to the next level of reliability and scalability.
We are looking for engineers with solid, hands-on backgrounds in large-scale distributed systems, and in-depth development experience in one or several modern database systems, to fill the role of Senior Staff Software Engineer. In this role, you will help some of the fast-growing services solve their database/storage scalability and reliability problems. You will also work on architecting and designing extremely highly available (5~6 nines) database systems in distributed and cloud environments. If you feel passionate about building massive online database systems that can scale to hundreds of nodes to serve 10s of millions of TPS, you share the same passion with us, and we welcome you to reach out to us.
What You Will Do
- Architect and design storage subsystems for mission-critical services with extremely high availability.
- Collaborate with and influence various teams and organizations in the company on design principles of large-scale storage systems.
- Organize and drive architecture and design reviews on database/storage subsystems.
- Explore and recommend technologies to solve database reliability and scalability problems in various business domains.
- Help develop Storage Platform’s roadmap and strategy.
- Be hands-on and lead the development of next-generation in-house database solutions.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to other engineers on the team.
- Solid software development background in large or mission-critical systems.
- Programming with at least two of the primary languages (Java, Python, Go, Rust, etc)
- Experience with various types of databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, MongoDB, DynamoDB, etc.). Deep understanding of at least one of them.
- Working knowledge on one of the distributed systems like Kafka, Cassandra, HBase, ElasticSearch, etc.
- Familiar with AWS services such as EC2, EBS, S3, etc.
- Familiar with performance monitoring, DevOps, and SRE concepts.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, EE, or other engineering fields.
- 5+ years of Software Engineering
- Experience leading projects using Agile methodologies.
- Architect/manager experience in the areas of technical leadership and engineering projects.
- MS in Computer Science or other engineering fields