We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
The Fulfillment and Transportation Systems (FTS) Technology organization is responsible for the systems that enable Coupang to reliably deliver to customers within hours of order placement. FTS is on a mission to innovate logistics by building an efficient delivery network at breakthrough scale and speeds. We are looking for an experienced and passionate engineering leader that can drive direction on technology, successfully champion align with other tech leaders and stakeholders, influence and build trust with teams, and execute delivery of complex systems considering scalability, future extensibility, and reliability.
The desired candidate will help FTS build systems that drive the overall process and workflow of Coupang's fulfillment and delivery systems. This work will not only include designing and building world-class systems, but also drive adoption of advanced technologies in automation and process optimization. The work will result in increased efficiencies in operations that allow Coupang to offer even faster delivery times, more delivery coverage and capacity, at lower cost.
This position will report directly to the Head of FTS and will offer the autonomy to explore various technical areas in order to discover big innovations.
What You Will Do
- Lead and drive architecture design of FTS systems for scale, future extensibility, and reliability
- Envision and drive alignment with stakeholders of the appropriate roadmap and future direction of technology for FTS
- Navigate and alleviate technical obstacles and blockers at the organizational level
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straightforward solutions, providing mechanisms for the teams to prioritize ruthlessly and “move with urgency.”
- Successfully champion collaboration and influence with tech leaders both within FTS and other Coupang engineering organizations.
- Deep dive to uncover how teams can work with higher efficiency
- Write code when necessary to lead by example and help with high priority projects
- Proactively identify opportunities in both business and technology
- Review, advise, and carry out the adoption of new technology (both open-source and commercial) that are useful in achieving business objectives
- Recruit and develop world-class engineering talent
- 10+ years of experience in software development at technology companies
- Solid track record of delivering large and complex systems with significant business impact
- Experience of designing and developing large-scale distributed systems and architectures
- 10+ years of experience in developing and operating backend services and web applications
- Broad and deep understanding of key technologies in storage, data processing, and serving
- Excellent communications and collaborations across teams and across functionalities
- Capable of object-oriented design and development
- Strong familiarity developing with Java and the Spring Framework
- Service development and operational experience in an AWS environment
- Experience driving improvements in code quality
- Experience using ORM such as JPA, Hibernate, and domain modeling
- Experience with logistics-related service development
- Experience in automating build/test/deploy
- Experience with bulk data processing using NoSQL solutions
- Experience with Git system for version control
- Experience with relational and column-oriented databases
- Agile experience
Pay & Benefits
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. At Coupang, your base pay is one part of your total compensation.
The base pay for this position ranges from $197,820/year in our lowest geographic market to $367,380/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on several factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
General Description of All Benefits
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life, AD&D insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) & Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Long-term/Short-term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- 18-21 days of the Paid Time Off (PTO) a year based on the tenure
- 12 Public Holidays
- Paid Parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- MTV - [Free] Electric Car Charging Station
General Description of Other Compensation
“Other Compensation” includes, but is not limited to, bonuses, equity, or other forms of compensation that would be offered to the hired applicant in addition to their established salary range or wage scale.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Coupang is also committed to providing a safe work environment for its employees and its consumers. As a condition of employment, Coupang requires employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, subject to legally required accommodations. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com .